Sunday, July 22, 2012

Vegan(ish) Cinnamon Rolls

I am not a morning person. Neither is my husband, really, but he generally wakes up much more like a human than I do. In fact, I would say that I resemble something like a zombie with a toothache and a broken foot who just crawled out of a bog of negativity mud. Don't talk to me in the morning. Fair warning. 

This morning, however, I woke up with my mind racing and my stomach growling. I have been so busy lately with home decorating projects and I keep thinking of these great things that I can do to make my already awesome ideas even more awesome! It's a bit of a problem. No project is ever simple for me. 

So, I wake up this morning to a wet puppy nose in the eye and decide I might as well get a start on my day. Apparently I had been dreaming of pastries or danishes last night because that was literally ALL I COULD THINK OF. I had to have something. Enter the yummy Vegan(ish) Cinnamon Rolls.

Maybe not pretty, but definitely tasty!

Vegan(ish)? No...we're not trying to make a statement or eat healthier. We're just too lazy to go to the store. (It's approximately 2 miles away...I mean, it's just too far.)

Here's how we ended up choosing this recipe: 

The aforementioned pastry craving has now taken over my entire thought process. So I go on the magical world of Pinterest and look for ideas. Yum...cinnamon rolls sound delish. Here's a recipe...do we have what we need? Milk? HA! No milk. Before you think that I'm a horrible wife and that my husband must be starving, you should know that Evan actually does the grocery shopping and he does a great job. We just happened to use the last of the milk last night making "It's time to go shopping" mac and cheese. 

So I start searching for milk-free recipes. There are tons, but for some reason, the internet seems to think that if I don't have milk on hand, I must surely have BUTTERMILK. No thank you. Search changes to dairy-free recipes. Apparently, if you don't have any sort of dairy, you certainly have about a billion eggs...nope. We only have one. (Well, that's not technically true. We have 4 more, but they expired right before our wedding. 3 months ago...been there, done that, had the food poisoning to prove it.)

Ok...here we go...what do we have? Yeast? Yes! Sugar? Yes! Flour, butter, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla and brown sugar? YES!!! 

I know what I have to do. I go onto my favorite "what's in your pantry" recipe collection website. Yummly. I love this site because you can put in ingredients you have as well as what you don't and it will bring up things you can make! I searched for cinnamon rolls with no dairy or eggs. Bam! Done! 

Vegan Cinnamon Rolls! Only 1 1/2 hours and a big old mess in the kitchen (sorry, babe. I would have cleaned it up, but I was running late for work! My bad!) and you've got some delicious breakfast goodies! I consider ours Vegan(ish) because we didn't have vegan butter on hand. I used regular butter. Other than that, though, it was totally vegan. 

For the icing, I just mixed up some powdered sugar, vanilla and water. Super simple. 

They weren't the prettiest cinnamon rolls, but they were tasty! Mission "Avoid the Grocery Store" was a success. Now...what to make for dinner? Hm...

No comments:

Post a Comment